[Dachs-users] Using an existing database table

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Nov 28 08:44:17 CET 2015

Hi Yannick,

Welcome to this list!

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:12:09PM +0100, Yannick Roehlly wrote:
> Is it possible to use an existing PostgreSQL table instead of
> importing a file for a catalogue resource?  I'd like to give all
> the meta-data and indicate that the actual catalogue data is in
> this database, this schema and this table.

In general, using an external ingestor usually makes things a whole
lot more complicated, in particular when you have "products", i.e.,
images or spectra, as DaCHS keeps extra metadata for them in the
dc.products table; the built-in ingestor makes sure it's properly
filled.

Hence, with products, I'd recommend having DaCHS ingest the material
in some way -- you can, however, get the metadata from your own
database table rather than go through the file system again.  Shout
if that's what you want to do and I'll post some more hints on how to
do that.

When things do not involve products, it's less of a problem; there's

http://docs.g-vo.org/DaCHS/tutorial.html#publishing-existing-tables-via-tap

to get you started.  Does that help?

Cheers,

          Markus